Your are welcome to the web-site of
Holy Dormition man's monastery Sarovskaya Pustyn'
Sarov monastery was founded at the beginning of a XVII
-th century in the north of the Tambov province in Temnikovsky district (nowadays Sarov city in Nizhniy Novgorod region). Sarov monastery is known as a place where St. Seraphim of Sarov
, one of the most beloved Orthodox saints, was living.
The founder of Sarov monastery is priest Ioann
(in the world Ivan Fedorovich Popov, the son of the clerk of Red village of Arzamas district). Consecration of the first temple in the Sarov monastery was made on June 16th, 1706
. This day is considered to be the date of the monastery's foundation.
The community of Sarov monastery in 1733
was near 36 persons. In 1744
the first stone temple – Assumption church was built and consecrated. In 1752
the stone Church of Ioann Predtecha over a spring at the foot of a hill was constructed. In 1758
the stone building of Holy Spring church was constructed. Also by this year the stone walls, two corner towers and a sacred gate were constructed.
Sarov monastery in 1764
(from аncient engraving):
The Dormition Cathedral was the main pride and beauty of Sarov monastery. Its external view had similarity to the Kievo-Pechersky Dormition Cathedral. It has been consecrated in 1777
. In 1784
the stone Temple of Saints Zosima and Savvaty has been constructed.
building of monastery's bell tower has begun (building is finished in 1799
). Somewhere from 1825
Sarov monastery became place of the all-Russian pilgrimage. One of the most esteemed among Orthodox saints, St. Seraphim of Sarov, was living here from 1778
until his pass away in 1833
Sacred Ioann Predtecha's temple has been constructed in 1827
. The building of monastery's dining room has been constructed in 1828
. In 1861
the chapel has been arranged over the tomb of father Seraphim. In 1864
building of Holy Spring temple has been finished.
for premise of pilgrims who were visiting Sarov monastery the stone two-floors building is constructed.
the building of Seraphim of Sarov temple is started, and consecrated in 1903
during glorification of Saint Seraphim.
Sarov monastery at the beginning of XX
century. View from the bell tower:
Sarov monastery was closed. Since 1952
Sarov has status of the city.
returning of monastery's buildings back under church conduction has begun. In 2006
the Sacred Synod of Russian Orthodox church has made the decision on renewal of monastic life in Sarov monastery.
More about history of Sarov monastery - in Dates
section of this web-site (in Russian). More pictures - in Photo
section (in Russian).
Some more info in English: